Transfers to Other Program Options:
Making the Decision to Transfer
Transfer to a Different Program within Special Education
Students who are considering whether to change from the program option in which they were admitted into a different program option (e.g., from a certification only program to a certification plus degree program or from a certification plus degree program to a degree only program OR from one area of specialization to another) should engage in the following activities:
- obtain the CURRENT requirements for the NEW program (eligibility criteria, specific courses, tests and other completion requirements)
- review the eligibility requirements for the NEW program to determine if they meet ALLof them and prepare to provide documentation if needed (e.g., teaching certification test scores, etc.)
- COMPARE these requirements with the courses, tests and other requirements they have already completed to determine what (if any) ADDITIONAL requirements they will be expected to complete
- CONTACT ADVISOR if needed to get additional information or clarification of requirements
STUDENTS WHO TRANSFER TO A DIFFERENT PROGRAM OPTION WITHIN SPECIAL EDUCATION MUST MEET ANY AND ALL NEW REQUIREMENTS IN EFFECT AT THE SPECIFIC DATE OF THE TRANSFER.
Transfer to a Different Program in Another Department
Students who are considering whether to change from a program in special education to a program in different academic unit should contact a representative of that program to obtain information and discuss eligibility and completion requirements.
Requesting Permission to Transfer
Students who have considered all the implications of a transfer to a different program and have decided that they do wish to request a transfer should send an email message to the department chairperson with the following information:
- identification of current program option
- request to transfer to a specific new program option
- reason for requesting the transfer
- attachments if needed to document meeting additional eligible criteria
If the transfer is for a different program in another department, the department chairperson will transfer the student’s files to the appropriate person responsible for admission in that department and close the student’s file.
If the transfer is for a different program option within special education, the department chairperson will review the student’s record (and any additional documentation submitted) to determine if s/he is eligible for the program, verify number of previous transfers, and respond by approving or denying the transfer. If the transfer is approved, the student will be sent a transfer letter with a new Student Program Plan. The approval email, transfer letter and new Student Program Plan will be placed in the student’s file.
STUDENTS WILL BE PERMITTED NO MORE THAN TWO TRANSFERS WITHIN SPECIAL EDUCATION.